Sunday, June 14, 2009

Anime Movie Watch: My Neighbour Totoro

I know this is a very old anime movie made by Studio Ghibli, way back in 1988 but I saw this movie for the first time today. Right on my dear iPod Classic.




I came across this movie by chance and I am very glad that I have had the chance to watch it. It is a very light-hearted movie that centres around a little family that has just moved in to an old house.

Satsuki is the elder sister while Mei is the younger sister. Together they had lots of fun and share close sibling bonds.

One day, Mei sees a pair of white ears belonging to a magical creature, which eventually led her to Totoro. It was both magical and fun to see how the little Mei interact with Totoro.

Halfway through the movie, Satsuki also gets to see Totoro for the first time, while waiting for her father to come home at the bus stop. Soon the siblings share a close bond with Totoro and it was heartwarming to see how Totoro slowly opened up to them.

When Mei went missing while trying to reach her mother in the hospital, Satsuki was frantic and eventually enlisted the help of Totoro. Totoro got a catbus to search for Mei, which it did.

The movie was very nice to watch as its themes were all about family bonds and sibling bonds. The accompanying music is also very soothing to the ears and makes for an unforgettable experience. I'm glad that I have this chance to watch the movie as I was too young to understand it when it first came out.

Hayao Miyazaki is indeed a genius in developing this movie and I look forward to his movies in future.

No comments:

Post a Comment