Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Now I'm A Fanatic. Or Not.

Like many other millions of users out there, I went ahead and bought myself an iPhone 3GS earlier tonight at the Singtel hello shop at Takashimaya Shopping Centre.



I suppose you can say that it is an impulse buy for I had no original intent to buy anything tonight, other than having a dinner appointment with my university friends, Joanna and Vanessa. All I wanted to do was to check out the corporate price plan for buying and using the iPhone and voila! I ended up being an iPhone owner overnight.

My dear NTT Docomo Sharp phone has barely been used for half a year, mind you. The only saving grace that the iPhone will have over my SH-06A is the connection to Singtel's satellite. Now I will no longer experience a sudden signal cut from my phone.

I bought the white version of the 16GB model. Too bad the phone doesn't come in red. That would have been a killer model.

Nonetheless my fingers are not quite used to the typing on the iPhone's screen keyboard as I tend to hit the wrong letters. Just writing a SMS to my friend takes me around 10 mins as I just can't get the hang of the keyboard. Argh... I gotta keep practicing to master the typing for this iPhone.

Anyway I am not to going to become an Apple fanatic who gets all defensive if someone else critisize my phone. Go ahead. I also can't stand some of the nitty gritty details that are missing on the iPhone. For example, changing the ringtones and SMS tones should not be made so difficult. I know Apple wants to make more money but simply getting users to pay US$0.99 for a ringtone for a song that they already own in the first place is bullshit. That kind of money-grubbing attitude from Apple is something that I can't stand. Apple stands to earn millions just from selling songs via its iTunes store. Why does it need to earn more by forcing iPhone users to buy their ringtones from Apple? It doesn't make any sense to me.

I managed to get around changing my ringtones on the iPhone without buying them from the iTunes store but I can't change my SMS tones. Those are way too tough and require a jailbroken iPhone. I am not going to jailbreak my iPhone for the sake of some measly SMS tones.

Next, the wallpaper setting on the iPhone is quite weird. I only can see my wallpaper each time I unlock my iPhone to get to the main screen. The home screen doesn't show my wallpaper but a black blank background. Not very appealing to me. Being able to display the wallpaper on the home screen is a basic mobile phone function yet the iPhone is not that clever enough to allow that.

Then there's the odd missing function of allowing you to copy your contacts from your iPhone to your SIM card. Strangely enough, this function is not implemented by Apple. The only way iPhone owners can save their contacts is to sync to a PC via Microsoft Outlook. That is so unnecessary and stupid. Even my SH-06A can do this simple task. Why not the iPhone? That said, many experts acknowledge that the iPhone is not the most technologically advanced smartphone out there. It just happen to be the most user-friendly and the most popular, mostly thanks to Apple's skilled marketing tactics.

Oh well, I'll see how it goes for me. I hope I haven't wasted my bucks for nothing. See ya on the iPhone next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment